Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2021

The Cay chapter 1-5 summary

For the past few weeks, we have been reading the novel The Cay chapters 1-5. The story begins on the night of 1942, a young boy named Philip was asleep on their second floor. He and his family were originally from Virginia, United States but moved to Curaçao, a Dutch Caribbean island. 

From what I can remember, chapter one was when the u-boats started coming to the island. At first, Philip was excited but throughout the first 5 chapters that definitely certainly changed. 

Ships from their island started to get torpedoed and his Mum wanted to get away from the island. His Dad thought that it would be better for them since it wasn't too safe to go on a ship, but his mother insisted to go anyway. They hopped onto SS Hato and made their way to Miami but then got torpedoed. 

Philip found himself on a raft with a man named Timothy and a grey cat.  Philip didn't like Timothy all that much mainly because Timothy was black. At first, Philip's head started hurting but eventually led him to be blind. So Timothy and himself have to work together to stay alive on a raft. So that is what I can remember from the first 5 chapters of the novel. This isn't all that happened since I can't remember all of it. 











1 comment:

  1. Hi Qyn

    A clear recap of what has happened in CH 1-5 of the novel, well done! I think you got most of the main events. Did you need to reference the PDF of the text or did you remember all of this on your own?

    I hope we are able to get back to class soon so that we can finish our novel study together.

    - Miss Birtch

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.