Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Distillation

Distillation: Separating a solution using evaportation+condensation. 

Experiment/ aim: To show the processes of evaporation and condensation by separating coke and sugar-free coke to see how much sugar is present.  

The 3 states of matter are solid, liquid and gas. 

Heat up coke- until all the liquid is evaporated, trapping the gas in the tube.

- Use ice around the test tube to condense the gas. 

Evaporating is when you make a liquid into gas and condensation is when you turn gas into a liquid. 

I think what will happen is when we evaporate the coke we can see a lit of sugar, but for the sugar-free one then I don't think we'll see any of it. I also think that we will be able to see the liquid evaporating into gas, then be able to condense the gas into liquid. 

Method: 

1. Set up the equipment as shown in the diagram.

2. Add approximately 50 ml of coke into your conical flask.

3. Light your bunsen burner. Open the air hole and gently push the bunsen burner under the tripod.

4. Heat the solution until most of the solvent has been evaporated. Turn off your bunsen burner. 


During the experiment, the coke was bubbling up because we were heating it up then it started evaporating, The steam went up the tube and into the test tube, as the coke kept bubbling and the steam travels up the other tube more water filled the test tube.

When it was evaporating water when to the test tube because we were condensing it at the same time. The test tube was in a beaker and it was also filled with ice and that was how we condensed the coke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.