Pages

Monday, May 31, 2021

Filter

Today we are focusing on filtering, filtering is separating different sized particles out of a mixture. Not all mixtures can be filtered. only insoluble particles, only things that are different sizes. 

Our aim is to separate a solution from a precipitate. I think what will happen is that we will be able to separate the liquid. 

Method: 

1. Pour approximately 50mL of copper sulfate solution into a beaker.

2. Add the same volume of sodium carbonate solution. A reaction will happen, you should see a cloudy blue precipitate form. Called copper carbonate. 

3. Watch demo then fold filter paper to fit inside the funnel

4. Place the funnel with the filter paper inside of it, into the mouth of a conical flask. 

5. Stir the mixture in the beaker, then carefully pour it into the funnel. 

6. Observe what happened.

Observations and Discussion: the solution is a darker blue than before but when it went through the filter it is clear with a slight tint of blue. what's left in the filter paper is some blue sludge. I think the blue is left behind because of the filter paper.


Equipment:

Sodium carbonate

Copper sulfate

Conical flask

Stirring Rod

200mL Beaker

Funnel

Filter paper
















No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.